Colonel Hank Birkdale is the senior IMA to the Chief, Supply Chain Management Division, Directorate of Logistics, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installation and Mission Support, Headquarters United States Air Force, Washington, DC. He develops AF-wide supply chain policy and operating procedures and leads the HQ Air Force Combat Support Center during operations and exercises.
Colonel Birkdale enlisted in the Air Force in 1977 and served tours as an Electronic Intelligence specialist at Tempelhof Central Airport, Berlin, West Germany and the National Security Agency, Fort Meade, Maryland. He was commissioned in the Air Force in 1985 via the Air Force ROTC program at St. Michael’s College, Winooski, VT. After commissioning, he was assigned to the Air Force Institute of Technology at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base where he obtained a master’s degree in Operations Research. He was then assigned to the Electronic Systems Center, Hanscom AFB as a staff analyst and integrated logistics support manager. He was responsible for performing studies and analyses for a multitude of Air Force Materiel Command programs to include Joint Stars, AWACS, and the Strategic Mission Planning and Programming System. In 1991, he joined the Air Force Reserves unit program as a transportation officer. From 1991 through 2003 he served in every aerial port officer position before becoming commander of the 85th Aerial Port Squadron in 2003. In 2004, he deployed to Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar, as the deputy Air Reserve Component advisor (Forward) to the 9AF/CC, and in 2009 deployed as the CENTCOM Mobility Division Chief Forward to Kabul, Afghanistan. He assumed his current assignment at the Pentagon in July 2007.
• 1985 Bachelor of Science degree in physics and mathematics, St. Michael’s College, Winooski, VT.
• 1986 Master of Science degree in Operations Research, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, OH.
• 1990 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
• 2002 Air Command and Staff College (by correspondence)
• 2005 Air War College (by correspondence)
1. August 1977 – March 1978, Basic and Initial Training, Electronic Intelligence Operations Specialist, Lackland AFB, TX and Keesler AFB, MS.
2. March 1978 – October 1980, Electronic Intelligence Operations Specialist, 6912th Electronic Security Group, Tempelhof Central Airport, West Berlin, Federal Republic of Germany.
3. October 1980 – August 1981, NCOIC, W31, 6941st Electronic Security Squadron, National Security Agency, Ft Meade, MD.
4. May 1985 – December 1986, student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH.
5. January 1987 – September 1989, staff analyst, Acquisitions Logistics, Electronic Systems Division, Hanscom Air Force Base, MA.
6. September 1989 – February 1991, Integrated Logistics Support Manager, Mission Planning Program Office, Electronic Systems Division, Hanscom Air Force Base, MA.
7. February 1991 – October 2000, Transportation Officer, 85th Aerial Port Squadron, AFRC, Hanscom AFB, MA
8. October 2000 – April 2003, Squadron Operations Officer, 85th Aerial Port Squadron, AFRC, Hanscom AFB, MA
9. December 2001 – May 2002 (Active Duty), Executive Officer, United States Air Forces in Europe Crisis Action Team, Ramstein AB, Germany
10. May 2003 – September 2005, Commander, 85th Aerial Port Squadron, Hanscom Air Force Base, MA.
11. July 2004 – December 2004 (Active Duty), Air Reserve Component Deputy Liaison Officer (Forward) to US CENTAF/CC, Al-Udeid AB, Qatar
12. October 2005 – July 2007, Team Chief, Combat Support Center (AF/A4RX), The Pentagon, Washington DC
13. July 2007 – May 2012, IMA to the Chief, Supply Chain Management Division (AF/A4RM), The Pentagon, Washington DC
14. June 2009 – December 2009 (Active Duty), CENTCOM Deputy Mobility Division Chief, MacDill AFB, FL and Mobility Division Chief Forward, Kabul, Afghanistan
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Good Conduct Medal
Army of Occupation Medal
National Defense Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Long
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Air Force Longevity Service with four oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with one ‘M’ device
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant – May 29, 1985
First Lieutenant – May 29, 1987
Captain – May 29, 1989
Major – October 1, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel – September 4, 2003
Colonel – October 1, 2007
Hank Birkdale retired from the United States Air Force Reserve in May 2012.